What does sustainability have to do with HR?
Sustainability and HR are closely linked because HR plays a critical role in implementing and promoting sustainable practices within an organisation. Sustainability is about meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. HR, or Human Resources, is the department within an organisation that is responsible for managing the people who work there. The primary function of HR is to recruit, select, develop, and retain employees, as well as to manage compensation and benefits, and ensure compliance with employment laws and regulations.
HR also plays a critical role in promoting a positive work culture and fostering a healthy and productive work environment. This includes creating and implementing policies and procedures to address workplace issues such as diversity and inclusion, employee relations, and performance management.
In recent years, the role of HR has expanded to include strategic planning and decision-making, as organisations recognise the importance of aligning their human capital with their overall business strategy. This has led to the development of new HR practices, such as talent analytics and workforce planning, that aim to leverage data to optimise workforce productivity and effectiveness.
Why is it urgent for HR teams to prioritise sustainability?
- In a survey conducted by Cone Communications, 88% of millennials said they would choose to work for a company with a strong sustainability agenda.
- A study by the Natural Marketing Institute found that 58% of employees consider a company's social and environmental commitments when deciding where to work.
- According to a survey by the Ethical Trading Initiative, 76% of workers in the UK said they would choose to work for a company that is committed to sustainability.
- A survey by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) found that 55% of employees said that a company's commitment to environmental and social issues was a factor in their decision to work there.
- A study by the Harvard Business Review found that companies with strong sustainability programs had higher levels of employee engagement and lower turnover rates than companies with weak sustainability programs.
These statistics and facts demonstrate that employees are increasingly looking for employers that are committed to sustainability and that companies with strong sustainability programs are more likely to attract and retain top talent.
Sustainability can help HR teams attract and retain Talent.
Talent management is a key responsibility for HR teams. HR can promote sustainability by attracting, hiring, and retaining employees who share the organisation's sustainability values. HR can also help create training and development programs that teach employees how to incorporate sustainable practices into their daily work. HR teams can promote the organisation's sustainability goals in job postings, recruitment materials, and during the interview process. This helps to attract candidates who share the organisation's values and are interested in working for an environmentally and socially responsible organisation.
Sustainability initiatives engage employees
HR teams are responsible for employee engagement. HR can engage employees in sustainability initiatives by creating opportunities for them to contribute their ideas and participate in sustainable practices. This can include activities such as volunteering in community sustainability projects or participating in recycling programs within the workplace. HR teams can create a culture of sustainability within the organisation by promoting sustainable practices and encouraging employees to adopt sustainable behaviors. This can include initiatives such as recycling programs, green commuting options, and energy-efficient practices in the workplace. HR teams can offer sustainable benefits, such as flexible work arrangements, telecommuting options, and wellness programs that promote healthy lifestyles and reduce the organisation's environmental footprint.
HR teams can support corporate social responsibility efforts
When there is not a dedicated sustainability team, HR, marketing, or procurement are often the teams that champion sustainability. HR can support sustainability efforts by aligning the organisation's corporate social responsibility initiatives with sustainable practices. HR can also ensure that the organisation's sustainability goals are communicated effectively to employees, customers, and other stakeholders.
HR can work with other departments to champion sustainability
HR teams can demonstrate the organisation's commitment to sustainability by engaging in sustainable practices themselves. This can include using eco-friendly office supplies, reducing paper waste, and sourcing sustainable products and services. HR can work with other departments to develop and implement sustainable practices, such as reducing energy consumption, minimising waste, and using environmentally friendly products. HR can also encourage employees to adopt sustainable practices in their work processes.
HR teams can purchase sustainable gifts to demonstrate shared values
- Demonstrating a commitment to sustainability: By purchasing sustainable gifts, HR teams can demonstrate their organisation's commitment to sustainability and show that they are willing to invest in environmentally and socially responsible products.
- Encouraging sustainable behaviors: Giving sustainable gifts can encourage employees to adopt sustainable behaviors and make more environmentally conscious choices in their personal and professional lives.
- Promoting the organisation's brand: Sustainable gifts can also be used as a branding tool to promote the organisation's commitment to sustainability and social responsibility. This can help to attract and retain customers, partners, and other stakeholders who share the same values.
- Compliance with environmental regulations: Many organisations are required to comply with environmental regulations, such as waste reduction and recycling programs. By purchasing sustainable gifts, HR teams can help the organisation to meet its sustainability goals and comply with these regulations.
- Supporting sustainable businesses: By purchasing sustainable gifts from environmentally and socially responsible suppliers, HR teams can support sustainable businesses and contribute to the growth of the green economy.
Overall, purchasing sustainable gifts is a simple yet effective way for HR teams to promote sustainability, encourage sustainable behaviors, comply with environmental regulations, and support sustainable businesses.
Why Social Stories Club gifts are the best sustainable gifts for HR teams
If you are looking for sustainable gifts that align with your company's values, you should check out Social Stories Club. This company offers a wide range of socially and environmentally responsible gifts that are perfect for HR teams to purchase. Here are some reasons why gifts from Social Stories Club are a great choice:
- Sustainable and Ethical: All of the products offered by Social Stories Club are made by social enterprises or small businesses that prioritise sustainability and social impact. This means that you can feel good about the impact of your gift-giving on people and the planet.
- Socially Conscious: Social Stories Club is a social enterprise that partners with organisations that empower people and create positive social impact. This means that your gift-giving can support these causes while also showing your employees that your company cares about social responsibility.
- Unique and Personalised: Social Stories Club offers a wide range of products, from luxurious bath products to artisanal foods, that are perfect for any occasion. Plus, they can even personalise your gifts with custom messaging, making them truly unique and special. Check out the build your own gift feature to choose exactly what goes inside your hamper.
- Convenience: Social Stories Club offers a seamless and hassle-free gift-giving experience. From selecting the perfect gift to delivering it directly to your employees' doors, Social Stories Club takes care of all the details so you can focus on what matters most.
- Branding: If you want a branded gift Social Stories Club can put your brand front and center. Choose from branded A6 cards, to branded ribbons and stickers. Check out the branded corporate gift page.
- Bespoke corporate gifts: Social Stories Club with create a gift especially for your company based on your values, preferences, dietary restrictions, budget, and recipients.
In conclusion, sustainability and HR are closely linked, and it is becoming increasingly urgent for HR teams to prioritise sustainability. Companies with strong sustainability programs are more likely to attract and retain top talent, and HR can contribute to sustainability by attracting and retaining employees who share the organisation's sustainability values. HR can also engage employees in sustainability initiatives, support corporate social responsibility efforts, work with other departments to champion sustainability, and purchase sustainable gifts to demonstrate shared values. By purchasing sustainable gifts, HR teams can demonstrate their organisation's commitment to sustainability, encourage sustainable behaviors, and support sustainable businesses.
Social Stories Club offers a wide range of socially and environmentally responsible gifts that align with a company's values. These gifts are ethically sourced and produced, and they support sustainable businesses and communities. By choosing Social Stories Club gifts, HR teams can not only demonstrate their organisation's commitment to sustainability but also support ethical and sustainable practices globally. Ultimately, by prioritising sustainability, HR teams can contribute to a more sustainable future for generations to come. Check out Social Stories Club’s corporate gifting page for more information.
Follow Social Stories Club on Social Media
Read More From Blogs For Corporates
In today’s fast-paced corporate world, showing appreciation to employees, clients, and partners through gifting has become a pivotal aspect of nurturing business relationships. However, finding the perfect gift that aligns with your company's values.
In an era where conscious consumerism is not just a trend but a movement, the spotlight is squarely on sustainable vegan corporate gifts. As businesses look to mirror their values and ethos in their gifting strategy, the demand for sustainable vegan gifts has skyrocketed.
The Best Sustainable Letterbox Gifts for Corporates: Elevating Ethical Gifting with Social Stories Club
The corporate world is witnessing a paradigm shift, with sustainability and ethics being at the forefront of business practices and corporate gifting. Social Stories Club, a pioneering sustainable gifting company, is leading the way by offering a versatile range of sustainable letterbox gifts.
Today’s conscientious businesses seek to go beyond profit. With the UN's Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) offering a blueprint for global prosperity, companies can align their corporate social responsibilities in a way that resonates with these universal objectives.